History Data Service
The History Data Service (HDS) collected, preserved, and promoted the use of digital resources, which result from or support historical research, learning and teaching.
The HDS was a successor service to AHDS History which, from 1996 to March 2008, was one of the five centres of the Arts and Humanities Data Service.
The HDS was housed within the UK Data Archive at the University of Essex. Services offered by the HDS included:
- long-term preservation of deposited data collections
- access to available collections through the UK Data Archive Data Catalogue
- online guidance on creating and documenting digital resources from historical sources
- a dedicated help desk and website
- regularly updated web-based FAQs
- JISCmail mailing list offering news on the latest History Data Service collections and other information useful to both creators and users of historical datasets
- news bulletins and articles
- online guides and resources on using data.
The service has been incorporated into the UK Data Service.
The HDS was run from the UK Data Archive at the University of Essex.