CREATE & MANAGE DATA
PLANNING FOR SHARING
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Data management is not just the responsibility of the researcher who creates the data.
Many people are involved in the research process and have roles in ensuring the integrity and quality of research data and increasing the potential for data sharing.
It is crucial that roles and responsibilities are assigned and not simply presumed. For collaborative research, assigning roles and responsibilities across partners is important.
People involved in data management may include:
- principal investigators designing research
- research staff or students collecting, creating, processing and analysing data
- external contractors with a role in data collection, collation or processing, e.g. transcribers
- support staff managing and administering research
- institutional IT services providing data storage, security and back-up services
- external data centres or archives who facilitate data sharing