HOW WE CURATE DATA
ARCHIVE TRAINING MANUAL
TECHNICAL SERVICES / OVERVIEW
Technical activities relate to every aspect of the archival process, including digital preservation, metadata profiles implemented, information security and front-end user services
Technical services is used here as a broad term to describe activities relating to the technical side of the archival process, including preservation planning, information security, metadata management, and access services. This section encompasses elements of both the Archival Storage and Data Management functions of the OAIS model.
Application development and database management within a data service will be to a large extent guided by technical platform choices, so only the more generic topics are covered here, such as preservation planning, security and trust, and metadata and identifiers.
'How to set up an run a data service' workshop presentation
Please note that the 'How to...' presentation linked to below does not cover every topic listed above, but deals primarily with IT infrastructure relating to preservation and security.
Skills for technical services staff
The following may be viewed as important skills for technical services staff but specifics will depend on internal technical choices and policies:
- experience in gathering, analysing and prioritising requirements for software systems in a production environment
- experience in the design, implementation, and quality assurance of software systems in a production environment
- experience of software project planning and management in a production environment
- experience of using source code management tools
- a structured and methodical approach to project management
- experience of using an issue tracking system
- experience of scripting and build tools
- experience with trouble-shooting and problem-solving for computing systems including servers, networks and peripherals
- ability to install and support server/workstation hardware and software
- knowledge of Microsoft server and office suite products
Pages created with support from: